To help boost businesses in the science and technology (S&T) sector, the Department of Science and Technology (DOST) will showcase innovations from Filipino tech start-ups, businesses, and its Philippine Textile Research Institute (PTRI) in a business forum and matching event with investors from the Middle East on 15 March 2022 from 2:00 - 5:00 P.M. (PH Time) / 10:00 A.M. - 1:00 P.M. (UAE Time).
"As the Philippines is brimming with brilliant and talented scientists and researchers, it is just necessary for us to proudly introduce their innovations and link them up with international partners. Noting the great opportunity of science, technology, and innovation in the Middle East, we are glad to pursue synergies with them. The Department sees this event to leverage our assisted enterprises and create more impactful collaborations.” said Dr. Leah Buendia, DOST Assistant Secretary for International Cooperation.
The Department will feature ten (10) technologies focused on five strategic areas of cooperation such as Artificial Intelligence (AI), Smart Energy Management, Water Management, Smart City Development, and Textiles:
- CROPITAL - A credit scoring model that directly interacts with farmers and localized data provided by the community/farmers to determine the weights of different attributes in farmer’s repayment.
- AI for Water Management (AI4WM) - An enhanced forecasting model for complex water supply systems of the East Service Area of Metro Manila.
- Intellex - A cloud-based data analytics platform for smart energy management and electricity cost reduction.
- CHARM - A fast charging system that can fully charge electric tricycles in 30 minutes.
- Vigormin - A wastewater treatment and odor-reducing formulation composed of naturally occurring organo-minerals that stimulate growth of indigenous aerobic microorganisms in wastewater and boost the degradation of organic pollutants.
- RTAP - An advanced pressure management system that optimizes pump operation for a significant reduction in non-revenue water (water loss) and power consumption.
- Axis Knee System - A total knee replacement system that is designed for a wide range of sizes.
- USHER - A 24/7 economical and hassle-free system that allows building managers to objectively monitor the structural integrity of buildings and bridges
- Yarn and Natural Dye Kits - Eco-friendly yarns and colorants derived from plant materials and produced using an industry-scalable technology of DOST-Philippine Textile Research Institute (PTRI).
- Philippine Tropical Fabrics - a patented PTRI technology for the production of natural textile fiber-blended yarns using natural fibers like abaca, banana pseudostem and pineapple leaf.
These innovations were developed through the technical and financial assistance from DOST’s Philippine Council for Industry, Energy and Emerging Technology Research and Development (PCIEERD) and Technology Application and Promotion Institute (TAPI).
"PCIEERD, as the country’s leading government agency in spurring change through S&T, deems this event as a good platform to help DOST-supported researchers expand their horizons, collaborate with the international community, and spread the ingenuity of Filipinos,” said DOST-PCIEERD Executive Director Dr. Enrico Paringit.
After the pitching activity, the presenters will participate in a business-to-business (B2B) matching with investors from the Middle East. Hopefully stakeholders will be able to forge partnerships that will strengthen each other’s businesses, and contribute to both countries’ thriving economy.
"We thank our friends from DTI and PTIC-Dubai for inviting and supporting DOST towards conducting this initiative. This event exemplifies our advocacy that technologies shared and used for the common good are catalysts of long-run growth,” said DOST-TAPI Director Atty. Marion Ivy Decena.
All interested parties who wish to attend the Forum may directly register through this link: www.bit.ly/DubaiExpoSnTForum.
The event is conducted on the sidelines of the Philippines’ participation to the 2020 World Expo hosted by Dubai, UAE - a global platform that champions innovation, technology, art, creativity, heritage, and culture to showcase human brilliance and excellence.