The Philippine Council for Industry, Energy and Emerging Technology Research and Development (PCIEERD) is the consolidation of the Philippine Council for Industry and Energy Research and Development (PCIERD) and the Philippine Council for Advanced Science and Technology Research and Development (PCASTRD) following DBM's approval of its Rationalization Plan last 29 June 2010, in accordance with the provisions of Executive Order No. 366.
PCIEERD is tasked to perform the following functions for the development of national competence in research and development strategic areas of industry, energy and emerging technology sectors in the country:
- Formulate national policies, plans, programs and strategies.
- Program and allocate government and other external funds for research and development in industry, energy and emerging technologies.
- Provide mechanism of assessment, evaluation and monitoring of programs and updating of national R&D plans.
- Develop and implement resource generating strategies to support the programs for the sectors.
- Support the development of institutions and R&D human resource pool.
- Establish, develop and maintain local and international technical cooperation linkages.
- Develop and implement programs for the optimal utilization, transfer and commercialization of technologies and other research outputs.
- Establish, develop and maintain an effective system for the acquisition and dissemination of research information.